Sunday, September 26, 2010

The zen of cleaning

It is the day after the BIG CLEAN at our house and I am perhaps not as reflective as I was yesterday.  Wow - what a cathartic experience.  I can honestly say that I tackled areas of the house that never crossed my mind.  Like the inside of the washer and dishwasher (shouldn't they be clean already?) or underneath the trash receptacle (if the trash goes into the can, what is there to clean?).  In the deep recesses of one closet, I found change, a straw, a couple of pencils, and a part of a compass (prompting a question mark) The floor between the stove and refrigerator changed color slightly when I scrubbed it out.  Fred, Sue, and my friend Heather helped out and by the end of six hours, it was the cleanest house I had ever been in.  I needed this major sense of accomplishment because with ten days to go, it seems like there is still much to do.  It was really amazing, sparkling bright.  I had no problem turning the key over to our renter this morning - it was nice closure to be finally finished with the packing/cleaning/moving saga. Peace.

Yesterday was preceeded by the Thursday night "Eat me out of house and home" party where we came up with a pretty good spread using everything left in the refrigerator and cupboards.  Spinach pie, spring rolls, caviar, prochiutto with pears, beans and rice, macaroni salad, and cheese/crackers were part of the creative smorgesbord.

I talked to Russ today on his cell phone and told him how busy things were.  He laughed.  Things on his end are considerably slower but he is settling in and making some good friends.  I can't wait for the slower awaiting me.

I am excited to get over there but living in the now.  I am over at Liz and Fred's house, bags in tow, and that is a good spot to be in.

1 comment:

  1. That is a major accomplishment.....probably worked off alot of calories too---ha ha

    ReplyDelete