Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 2

A lot of people think I am in Africa by now and I've gotten all sorts of "say hello to Russ for us".  In my head, I'm already there.  But physically I am still in Dalton until October 6, and my last day of work is September 30.  Russ and I talked on Friday night which was wonderful.  It has made the subsequent days more difficult though as I know that I can't realistically call again until the weekend (on the good graces of our new nice neighbor Terez).  We also got spoiled with instant messaging last week before he started school today.  It sounds like it is a whirlwind for him, but he will quickly adapt.  Cell phones and internet will come quickly enough but not until I am there.  Oh, and thank you to the friends who on commenting on yesterday's post reminded me to add skype to the list of things I need to catch up on.  Nothing like feeling technically illiterate.

Some of you have asked - are we moving within the complex?  No, so hopefully the dog situation next door (not Terez) will resolve itself with a little help from the head of school.  Otherwise the house looks great and I am looking forward to getting over there.  Sue and I did some Target shopping this weekend and got a few more things to pack (Will it ever end?  Just when I think I am packing my last box, I seem to find more stuff.  It's starting to be a surreal experience.  It is actually making me think about ever buying anything again).

Most people reading this will not know our friend Irene who died last week from cancer in Cape Town.  We had hoped to visit her and her husband soon during one of our school breaks.  John and Irene lived in Gab during their first few years in Africa.  Irene had a hearty laugh and a rich life.  It was a sad day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment