Friday, October 1, 2010

Here and now

Today was my last day at work.  Remarkably uneventful.  I was surprised at how many students seemed to come out of their way to say goodbye to me.  It was heartfelt.

One thing I have been aware of in the past week is staying in the present.  After spending the past month saying goodbye and people constantly asking me "are you still here?", it would be easy to emotionally disconnect from the Berkshires.  Yet, that would take something away from the total experience.  With one friend today, I initially said "I don't want to say to goodbye", reverting to the African idiom "I will see you when I see you".  But that was a cop-out and I ended up going back to say a proper goodbye.  I am thankful for other friends who have stayed with me in the present, through the craziness of the move, and yet also keeping our friendship NORMAL like nothing else was going on in the world.

And at the same time, I am so excited, so anxious to go.  Can't wait to reunite with Russ.

While I think of myself as someone who lives simply, the BIG MOVE obviously proved otherwise, as I mentioned in a previous blog.  All the pens, all the personal care products, and the latest - eighteen small bottles of hand sanitizer gathered from the nooks and crannies in the house.  Russ would have something to say about this.  But I probably got it all on a really good sale. ;-)  Actually, I am at the point where the thought of buying anything from groceries to clothes totally repulses me, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Aaah...in one week, its the chance to start all over, living out of what I can carry over in two fifty pound suitcases

I am deeply breathing in the thick dewy air after the heavy storm today.  It is more humidity than I will undoubtedly feel in the next two years.  It's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment