Monday, October 25, 2010

Live and uncut

Now I feel that I can actually blog. We have been given access to the "restricted" websites here at school. I am not subbing this week but sit quietly in the science teachers' room and get done whatever I need to. Up to this point, I have been typing at home, then waiting to use a neighbor's computer which has become awkward. Hoping that we can set up skype soon too. Internet at our house will take a bit longer.

Also for the first time since I have been here, I really FELT something. Of course I am glad to be here. I am happy to be with Russ and like where we are at. I feel safe living in Gab. But last night I was truly moved. We went out with Helen and Zane to the Bokaa Dam, which was stunning. We went on a bird walk and saw a flock of flamingoes and several marsh birds, also some egrets. There weren't any other animals except for the cattle and donkeys that wandered around. There were a few other people fishing out of the dam. Then we sat and had a braai. To cook meat over an open fire in the middle of a spectacular wilderness area is one of the most sensory stimulating experiences I've had. The sunset was brilliant, and the smell both of the meat and from the water completely cleared my head. There was a slight breeze and the different sounds of the birds as they ended the day broke the silence. I could have stayed out there all night. Yes, I live in Africa and Gab is a good sized somewhat bustling African city. But last night revealed what I love about living here: the wildness, the vast silence, the stars. It stirs my soul and inspires me. We will find ways to explore more. It was a great way to end the weekend and we watched the full moon rise before heading off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment