Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We learn as we go

The end-of-the-month craziness does not end just because the month does. Just until people run out of spending money.

Traffic in Gab often involves stopping for cattle which are crossing the road. Yet, people also seem more adapt at maneuvering rotaries (roundabouts)than in the US.

Prestik (the alternative to tape here, a sticky substance used to hang most anything) can really do a number on the walls. I recall this from Namibia when it is just about impossible to get it fully off. Goo gone would be a smart product here. People LOVE prestik. I think it is fun to fidget with when I get a ball of it in my fingers.

I am reminded that kids and school politics are the same no matter where you are, both the positive and negative.

I highly doubt I will remember all the differences between African English (AE) and British English (BE) spellings and pronunciation. Sometimes the words are the same in AE and BE like maths instead of the American English math. But is learnt really a word? I was corrected by a teacher for saying been like bin, instead of with a long e and a syllable and half. Sigh.

It is worth walking a bit further in a parking lot in the heat of day just to get a shady spot to keep the car cooler. I do not feel guilty about driving around two or three times waiting for one to open up.

Dirt is not always dirty, and rain is not always clean.

While email provides somewhat instant gratification, I realize that I miss letters. I am finding it hard to sit down to write and journal, although I seem to be doing quite a bit of typing. Technological evolution? Not having internet 24/7 though takes some of the immediacy out of the equation though.

Real maple syrup is worth every pula. I found some yesterday at Spar, about $12 for 10 ounces from Canada. But in the same trip, I could not find any decent bananas, avocados, or bread rolls. Go figure.

The formality of people's dress here is really amazing, especially considering the heat. Long sleeve shirts, sweaters, and pants are a common sight and I start sweating immediately when I see people outfitted this way. But people really look exceptionally nice.

Air conditioning is not overrated.

This experience so far has been incredible for our relationship. We would both say we greatly appreciate and support each other more than we ever did before. So, if nothing else goes right, this reason alone was worth coming over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment