Thursday, July 21, 2011

Space of our own

It's been great spending the past month in Lenoxdale, housesitting for our good friends Karen and Pierre. I think one of the things I've enjoyed the most is our time on the front porch. We eat breakfast, lunch, and our snack out there, read, work on the computer, and watch the neighbors walk by. In Tennessee, my mom tells me it's called "porching", and I think it's a lovely past time.

We've been reaping the harvest of their garden, another joy of summer and picking currants from two large bushes. I am not sure what to do with them, so I'll just keep them in the fridge.

We also take long walks. Russ is going about four miles a day, and I try to keep up. For the past two days, we have taken the back road to Laurel Lake and discovered the Lee town beach and a homemade ice cream store (with heart healthy sorbet). Kennedy Park is also a wonderfully shaded area with several different walking trails.

Going into the center of town feels like we are somewhere else. Having worked in Lenox for six years, I never really walked the downtown section. With it's cute boutiques and sidewalk cafes, it feels like we are on vacation. Tonight we came across a concert in Lilac Park and we plan on going to Tanglewood next week.

I went back to the high school today, and it felt like I had never left. Except that I did not have mountains of work as I would normally over the summer. I loved seeing co-workers. Several former students have been in touch with me, which has warmed my heart. They were the highlight of my time there (ok, most of them). Our social action group SAVE continues to grow, and I am so proud of the students who want to stand up for and help raise awareness about injustices around the world.

This will be my last blog on this site. Thank you for supporting me in reading it. The new site will be http://theq8report.blogspot.com and I hope to have a post up later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment