Tuesday, December 14, 2010

At long last

Yesterday the fourteen boxes that I shipped from New Jersey back in October arrived at our door. The pallet was still shrinkwrapped, so any irrational fears of the big bad customs agent seizing my splenda or hair color were put to rest. Everything is in great condition, thanks in large part to my mom who so efficiently packed more than half of it back in August. While it seems as though we are celebrating Christmas early with the specialty food items, new clothes, books, and magazines, the reality is that I packed way too much. We would have been uber-prepared for anything though - cold desert winters, minor medical emergencies, complete boredom, and more. In hindsight, I know my rationale was that better to use this stuff than to keep it all in storage or throw perfectly good items away. Que sera sera. We are trying to look at this as an exercise in simplifying and downsizing our life which seems to become easily cluttered with STUFF.

It's another rainy day, and that is perfect for unpacking and sorting things out. The rain is steady and the temperatures are on the cool side. I have a nice new raincoat that I did not think I would use here but it is light and has worked out well (must write Lands End to thank them). The umbrella I bought last month is for sun; it is not waterproof, and I think that is funny.

The social scene at the housing complex has kicked into full gear since the block party celebrating the end of school last Friday. Last night we made pizzas with Rafa and Rosemary; tonight there is a happy hour, tomorrow a braai out in the bush,and hopefully a couple of group walks/hikes. We do have a short to-do list of errands and shopping to do as well. I think the time will go by quickly before we leave for the Tuli Block in eastern Botswana on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment